FiOS TV: "Program Information Not Available" - Solved
Arnie Goetchius
2011-11-02 12:38:47 UTC
For the last couple of days, if I switched a FiOS TV channel, I would get
the message "Program Information Not Available" message at the bottom of
the screen. Normally when you switch channels, you see a brief description
of what the channel is all about and is the same information you get if
you hit the "Info" button.

The solution to this was to unplug the STB for a few minutes. Turning the
STB off was not enough. This has happened to all of my SD STB's over the
last 3 days but not my HD STB.
Oppie
2011-11-02 14:03:35 UTC
Post by Arnie Goetchius
For the last couple of days, if I switched a FiOS TV channel, I would get
the message "Program Information Not Available" message at the bottom of
the screen. Normally when you switch channels, you see a brief description
of what the channel is all about and is the same information you get if
you hit the "Info" button.
The solution to this was to unplug the STB for a few minutes. Turning the
STB off was not enough. This has happened to all of my SD STB's over the
last 3 days but not my HD STB.
The box is powered whether the front panel says on or off - just some
functions power down. Even with the power off, you can feel that the box is
warm.

The program guide comes over the cable, not directly from FiOS, but through
your router. Each of the STBs has an IP address which communicates with the
router. Often when you get a 'program information not available' message,
best thing is to turn off the router for about a minute and then power it up
again. Since this happened to multiple STBs, Router was the likely problem.
Could also be a failed software update. Watching tv in the wee hours of the
morning, sometimes stb will enter a program mode and then auto-reboot. This
happens usually at the most interesting part of the show.
Arnie Goetchius
2011-11-02 14:46:38 UTC
Post by Oppie
Post by Arnie Goetchius
[...]
This happened to separate STB's over several days. When the first one
happened, I did turn off (unplugged) the router but it did not make any
difference.

James Silverton
2011-11-02 15:07:11 UTC
Post by Arnie Goetchius
Post by Oppie
Watching tv in the wee hours of the morning, sometimes stb will enter a
program mode and then auto-reboot. This happens usually at the most
interesting part of the show.
It's hard to see that the router can have any affect on the TV "Set top"
box since the fiber cable is split before reaching either, at least in
my installation.
--
James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not* ***@verizon.net
Chris S.

Chris
James Silverton
2011-11-02 17:41:09 UTC
Post by Chris S.
Post by James Silverton
Post by Arnie Goetchius
Post by Oppie
Watching tv in the wee hours of the morning, sometimes stb will enter a
program mode and then auto-reboot. This happens usually at the most
interesting part of the show.
It's hard to see that the router can have any affect on the TV "Set
top" box since the fiber cable is split before reaching either, at
least in my installation.
Look up "MOCA"
Chris
Turning off the router has absolutely no effect on my TV. As I said, the
signal is split before entering the house.
--
James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not* ***@verizon.net
Chris S.
2011-11-02 18:47:18 UTC
Post by James Silverton
Post by Chris S.
Post by James Silverton
Post by Arnie Goetchius
Post by Oppie
Watching tv in the wee hours of the morning, sometimes stb will enter a
program mode and then auto-reboot. This happens usually at the most
interesting part of the show.
It's hard to see that the router can have any affect on the TV "Set
top" box since the fiber cable is split before reaching either, at
least in my installation.
Look up "MOCA"
Chris
Turning off the router has absolutely no effect on my TV. As I said, the
signal is split before entering the house.
MOCA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_over_Coax_Alliance

Your FiOS router supplies the Guide data to your TV. It updates every week
or so.
The router also supplies VOD. It most certainly DOES interact with your TV.
I assume that you have the VZ branded Actiontec router. You can view its
settings at
192.168.1.1 There you will see all of your STBs.

Chris
James Silverton
2011-11-02 21:28:05 UTC
Post by Chris S.
Post by James Silverton
Post by Chris S.
Post by James Silverton
Post by Arnie Goetchius
Post by Oppie
[...]
Damnit! Don't you believe that I tried turning off the router with no
effect?
--
James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not* ***@verizon.net
Chris S.
2011-11-02 21:39:19 UTC
Post by James Silverton
Post by Chris S.
Post by James Silverton
Post by Chris S.
Post by James Silverton
Post by Arnie Goetchius
Post by Oppie
[...]
Of course I believe that you turned off the router without any immediate
effect!
Read what I said. watch a VOD movie and turn off the router then. Bingo! no
VOD movie.
Turn it off for a week. The Guide will not update.

I don't need your damnits either.

Chris
Fairfax County
James Silverton
2011-11-02 21:45:37 UTC
Post by Chris S.
Post by James Silverton
Post by Chris S.
Post by James Silverton
Post by Chris S.
Post by James Silverton
Post by Arnie Goetchius
Post by Oppie
[...]
Dense!
--
James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not* ***@verizon.net
Chris S.
2011-11-02 22:03:50 UTC
__________________SNIP__________________________
Post by James Silverton
Post by Chris S.
Post by James Silverton
Post by Chris S.
Post by James Silverton
Post by Chris S.
Post by James Silverton
[...]
Read the thread. I and several others have tried to tell you that your
router DOES play a part with your TV.
Verizon has, in the past, replaced my router when the guide would not update
on any of my 3 TV set top boxes. Swearing and calling me names will not
change the absolute facts.

Chris
Gary
2011-11-03 12:56:45 UTC
Swearing and calling me names will not change the absolute facts.
But that approach works in politics...

-Gary
James Silverton
2011-11-02 21:52:02 UTC
Post by Chris S.
Post by James Silverton
Post by Chris S.
Post by James Silverton
Post by Chris S.
Post by James Silverton
Post by Arnie Goetchius
Post by Oppie
[...]
“The great tragedy of Science: the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by
an ugly fact”
Thomas Henry Huxley
--
James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not* ***@verizon.net
Han
2011-11-02 15:34:15 UTC
Post by James Silverton
Post by Arnie Goetchius
Post by Oppie
Watching tv in the wee hours of the morning, sometimes stb will
enter a program mode and then auto-reboot. This happens usually at
the most interesting part of the show.
It's hard to see that the router can have any affect on the TV "Set
top" box since the fiber cable is split before reaching either, at
least in my installation.
Not in mine. At the ONT the signals are split between 1) phone
(phonewire, 2) TV only (coax), and 3) internet (cat5/6, includes TV
program info). At the router, the TV program info is extracted and sent
via coax to the TV's. I have a coax splitter that sends signals to/from
the devices:
a) Main "in" from ONT
then "out" times 3
b) In and out from/to router
c) TV#1
d) TV#2

Vz took advantage of existing wiring when FiOS came to my house. I had
DSL wiring to the place for the router, and Cablevision coax to the TV's
(plus phone network, of course).
Therefore they didn't rewire to bring all signals in via coax to the
router.

Sorry, if this isn't any clearer.
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
Oppie
2011-11-02 21:35:22 UTC
Post by Han
Post by James Silverton
Post by Arnie Goetchius
Post by Oppie
[...]
I got Fios when TV services weren't available yet in my area. I still had
(the dreaded) Cablevision for TV and had that dedicated for the Coax
distribution system. I had the installer run Cat5 to the router for
internet.

At a later date when we got Verizon TV services, installer came to configure
the system and insisted that the only way to get it to work properly was to
use the moca. They left the cat5 for backup use (presently programmed
inactive).

Who knew?
Han
2011-11-02 21:54:23 UTC
Post by Oppie
Post by Han
Post by James Silverton
Post by Arnie Goetchius
Post by Oppie
[...]
Apparently there is more than 1 way to skin a cat (5, 6, or 7),
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
Oppie
2011-11-03 15:16:43 UTC
Post by Han
Post by Oppie
Who knew?
Apparently there is more than 1 way to skin a cat (5, 6, or 7),
Now THAT is funny <smirk>
I needed a smile after just having my car put through state inspection.
Passed but cost me a few bucks <medium Ouch>

Gordon
2011-11-02 22:20:16 UTC
Post by James Silverton
Post by Oppie
The program guide comes over the cable, not directly from FiOS, but
through your router. Each of the STBs has an IP address which
communicates with the router. Often when you get a 'program
information not available' message, best thing is to turn off the
router for about a minute and then power it up again. Since this
happened to multiple STBs, Router was the likely problem.
It's hard to see that the router can have any affect on the TV "Set
top" box since the fiber cable is split before reaching either, at
least in my installation.
The fiber doesn't actually split. Neither does it even enter the house.
OK, in some multi-family situations the ONT may be in the appartment.
But in most instalations, the ONT is outside on the wall of the house.
In any case, the fiber ends at the ONT. After that, it's copper
connections.

The fiber carries two downstream lasers: One is a standard (as best I
can tell) CATV HFC (or R-FOG) signal. The other is a 2.1 GHZ data
signal. The data signal carries the internet, program guide,
VOD, possibly firmware updates, and VoIP phone service.

The ONT extracts all these various data and routes them into the proper
output: Coax, CAT5, or phone jack. FYI, there are four phone jacks
on the ONT. Since the STB only has a coax connection, it has to receive
it's internet data over the coax. That is one reason why a combined
CATV and Internet installation will use the COAX for tha STB and
internet.
I'm not sure that the ONT has the ability to split the internet between
the coax and the cat5.
Arnie Goetchius
2011-11-03 00:00:05 UTC
Post by Oppie
Post by Arnie Goetchius
[...]
More info: When this first happened and I turned the router off and on,
only two of the four STB's showed up on the router's "My Network"
screen. That was Monday. Today I checked the router again and all 4
STB's are now listed. So maybe a failed software update was the problem.